The Red Lake Electric Cooperative (RLEC) was organized by a group of farmers in 1938 for the purpose of delivering electricity to the rural areas. The Cooperative is controlled by the membership through their elected board of directors. There are nine director districts and directors are elected for three-year terms. Directors are elected by their respective districts at the annual meeting held each spring. Following are two good sources of information covering the Beginning, Development and Early History of the Red Lake Electric Cooperative.
- The Beginning and Development of the R.L.E.C. – Part 1
- The Beginning and Development of the R.L.E.C. – Part 2
“We feel that the story of Red Lake Electric is an inspiring and interesting one, and of which all the membership can well be justly proud.” – Millard F. Dailey
The Beginning and Development of Red Lake Electric Cooperative was written in 1981 by Millard F. Dailey – member, director, officer and pioneer of the Red Lake Electric Cooperative.
- A History of the first ten years of R.L.E.C. Part 1.
- A History of the first ten years of R.L.E.C. Part 2.
(History taken from the 1950 Red Lake Electric Cooperative Annual Report)